Saturday 12 October 2013

Batch

Yesterday whilst I was at work I found out that my sister, Angelica, and her boyfriend, Damien, were at Luna Park for an early 18th birthday celebration for her. I work at Kirribilli so I asked if they wanted to have lunch with me. Of course they did, so I took them to an American-style joint that opened a few months ago - Batch. 


There aren't many restaurants/food choices for lunch in Kirribilli compared to the city. A small stretch of restaurants is dominated by three Thai restaurants and an upscale cafe. So Batch is definitely a very welcome but very different addition to the Kirribilli food scene. 

Occupying a small shop which was previously a Thai restaurant, Batch is fit out as a diner. But it is not as spacious as your typical American diner - it is a little tight and can accommodate approximately only 20-25 patrons at a time, both inside and outside. There is usually a rush at lunchtime when the rich private school kids and the office workers have lunch, so I told Angelica and Damien to meet me there before 1pm.


Having eaten here previously, I already knew what burger I wanted - the 'Spicy Mexican' ($13.50) with chilli mince, smoked cheddar, tomato, jalapeƱos, spanish onion, sour cream, and hot taco sauce on a brioche bun. It's a thick burger and it can get a bit messy, but it tastes great and is nice and spicy (not too spicy), just how I like my food (sometimes). I also ordered a side of fries ($2.50).


Damien had the chilli dog ($12.50) which was a beef hotdog with chilli mince, cheese and chilli sauce. It was "nice" and "spicy, but not too spicy". 

Angelica and Damien had chocolate milkshakes ($6) and Angelica had Maltesers ($1.50) mixed in with hers. I've had the chocolate Malteaser milkshake myself on a previous occasion and it's a good shake - big serving and the Malteasers are a yummy touch and crunch. 


We also shared the Fried Chicken Drumsticks ($8). It was my first time trying this and boy,  was it good! Nice, big drumsticks with a delicious skin, reminiscent of Chinese crispy skin chicken, but lighter and flakier. Sprinkled with just the right amount of salt, this is definitely a winner and a bargain at $8.


Angelica and Damien shared chilli fries ($7) which were topped with chilli mince, cheese, jalapeƱos and hot taco sauce. I've had this on a previous occasion and what can I say? It's what you'd expect - fries that are meaty, spicy, cheesy, yummy and oily


The service at Batch is great and the food comes out quickly. The owner is very nice and friendly and he actually remembers me. We always have a little chat when I visit.  

Batch is definitely worth crossing the bridge for if you like your American food. The menu offers a great range and I know I'm keen to try out their other menu items, including their brekky!

P.S. Shoutout to my sister, Angelica! Happy 18th birthday! I love you! x

1 comment: