Tuesday 1 October 2013

Mamak

Last night I finally tried Mamak! It had been on my to-visit list for so long and I love Malaysian food, I love curry, I love roti, and I love spicy food... So after all the positive reviews I've heard and read, I knew I was going to enjoy myself. 

I had heard all about the crazy lines that happen at Mamak, so since Josh finished work early, I asked him to aim to get to Mamak around 5pm so that he could start lining up early. Josh did well, arriving at approximately 5:05pm, to find that there was no line yet! By the time I arrived at almost 5:30pm, which is their opening time, the line was already down to the corner of the block.


When 5:30pm struck, we were led in and seated. Josh and I were in a bit of a hurry and only had about an hour to eat since we had to babysit my god-daughter. Luckily for us, service was good and the food came out very quickly.

Tossing up between the lamb and chicken curry, Josh decided that we should just order both. Our waiter, however, suggested we go with lamb since we were also ordering the fried chicken - this was much appreciated since as I've mentioned before, Josh and I tend to over-order.

We did not regret ordering the lamb curry at all. The lamb was tender and the curry sauce was nice and spicy. Delicious.

Lamb curry $16
Presented with many roti choices, we kept it simple and went with the plain roti.  It was light, fluffy and yummy and the accompanying curry sauces were nice too, and not too spicy, though I much preferred dipping the roti into the lamb curry sauce.

Roti canai $5.50

The satay chicken skewers were delicious and I really enjoyed the taste of the sweet and spicy peanut sauce.

Satay chicken skewers $9 for half dozen/$16 for dozen
Wow, these fried chicken pieces were huge! We definitely could've done with just ordering two instead of four, but we didn't realise they would be so big! Now that you know, don't make the same mistake! Regardless, this fried chicken was good. So, so juicy, crispy on the outside and very flavoursome.


Malaysian fried chicken $14 for 4/$4 per piece
For dessert we went with the roti tisu which is extra crispy, paper-thin roti served tall and with ice cream. It looks simple and is basically just thin roti coated with sugar, but it is so tasty! Perfect, light end to a delicious, though heavy meal.

Roti tisu $10
We also tried their iced milo and iced white coffee which were yummy and cheap accompaniments to our meal. These drinks reminded us of the ice coffee/chocolate we had for breakfast when we holidayed in Thailand.



Iced Milo $4; Iced white coffee $4
Overall, Mamak was a great experience, ticking all the boxes in regards to quick and attentive service, quality food, and value for money. When we went to pay, Josh, even exclaimed "wow, that's cheap!" considering how much we ordered and how full we were! I'm glad to have finally crossed this place off my list and can't wait to go back when the curry and roti cravings kick in again!

No comments:

Post a Comment